Official Language


There should not be a debate about the United States of America having English be its official language.  Most all the people who live in it, speak it. The whole Constitution of the United States of America is written in it.  And most all public schools in the United States are taught in it. Why then is it such a big deal to make it its official language?  It really, should not be. In fact, most other countries have their own official language. Spain, Colombia, and Cuba all have Spanish as their official language.  Portugal and Brazil, both have Portuguese. And finally, both North and South Korea have Korean as their official language. All of this is completely fine and acceptable.  Hell, I even lived in South Korea for five years, and not once did I think it was a problem that their official language was Korean. I was a foreigner living in their country.  It would be unbelievably arrogant of me to think that they should have to cater to my inability to fluently speak Korean, and think they shouldn’t have it as an official language.  I spoke English in my community of other foreigners, just as people do in America, which is absolutely no problem. When it came to going out to the store, or to a restaurant, I spoke the Korean that I had learnt to order food and communicate - keeping in mind that Korean is their official language and I that should respect that.  If someone there knew how to speak some English (there was a good amount of people learning) it was much appreciated. Both parties were able to learn more from each language as they taught me new phrases and I sometimes would teach them new phrases in return. If this works in Korea and I’m sure other places too, why not the United States.  

Comments

  1. I agree with you; calling English the official language of America shouldn't seem so wrong. The majority of the population already speaks it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment