Time

(listen at your own risk,  may cause existential crisis)

I cannot help but draw some similarities from Virginia Woolf’s description of a moth going from corner to corner of a windowpane in “The Death of the Moth,” to a line from the Pink Floyd song “Time.”  The line from the song goes “Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown / waiting for something or someone to show you the way.” To me I interpret this line to mean that the subject is staying in the same place he knows and doing the same things over and over.  This is comfortable and so our subject waits for something to lead him somewhere else as to not to take risks or change. Now I can’t say for certain that the moth is waiting for something to guide him elsewhere, but he does have the option of exploring the house or room he is in - rather than the same windowpane.  Both of our subjects have the option to go elsewhere, but they do not. I urge everyone to not follow their example. Otherwise “one day you find ten years have got behind you” and you’re still kicking around on that same piece of ground. People need to take advantage of all the things life has to offer, go adventure elsewhere, travel, and try new things.  DO NOT be the reason Pink Floyd reunites and writes a new song about this topic.

Comments

  1. Well I loved this for obvious reasons, but I kinda want Pink Floyd to reunite soooo maybe I won’t take advtanage if the things in life... Just kidding

    Great analysis of the essay and especially the song.

    But define what a soul is

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you personalized this week's reading. Nice call to action

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment